Monday, July 23, 2012

Sleeping with Spiders



Over the years I have posted many spider/insect pictures from Costa Rica.  ...but, I don't know if I ever shared the story of how I fell in love with them.

The first time we ever spent the night in our home in Costa Rica, it wasn't technically ready for us, but we were too excited to care if the doors weren't able to completely shut properly.  That night, Paul and I left all the lights on in the house to go into town for dinner.  Once we returned it was pitch black except for our house that lit up the jungle.  When we opened the door it was like the "inside-out game", our house was full of insects.  Drawn from the depths of the tropical jungle in search to explore this illuminating light, every shape, color, and size of bug was going insane inside our home.  Flying, crawling, screeching they were filling every square inch.   

Paul immediately turned off the lights and I grabbed a flashlight.  But, there was no point fighting against them.  The more I waved my flashlight, the more they came straight at me.  At that moment I knew that I could in a split second loose my mind and have a panic attack.  I drew every ounce of self control in my body and pulled back the blankets on our spider infested bed and laid down in the midst of them crawling all over me and went to sleep.  

The next morning it looked like a battle zone.  Most the bugs had either died or covering the windows looking for their way out.  The ceiling fan had taken out a pile of flying ones that landed on our toes.  At this moment is when I fell in love with Costa Ricans insects.  I could view them up close and personal with either lifeless bodies all over our floor or pressed against the glass.  They were gorgeous.

Here are a couple of pictures of my favorite crawly friends.
























How beautiful and unique are each one of these guys?  

Love, Sarah

1 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my goodness, you are braver than I! they are pretty, though... I just don't know that I'd want to see them up close and personal. :)

Post a Comment

 
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Twitter Follow on Instagram Follow on Pinterest Subscribe via Bloglovin' Follow Kittens and Pitbulls